As an addition to our profiles of the 5%, we’ve gathered a collection of interviews and articles on women in audio and music.
Women in Audio and Music Blogs, Collectives, and Organizations
- THE DIY ARTIST BLOG Featuring Vanessa Silberman of A Diamond Heart Production and Carissa Johnson of Fuel Heart Productions.
Each Friday they will be posting blogs on everything from self-booking & touring, Artwork, Social Media, Live Sound and Recording on minimal budgets and everything in-between.
No More All Male Panels
There is no shortage of qualified women who are ready and willing to speak on panels about their expertise. Here are a few lists to help you find candidates for diverse panels.
Women in Audio
- Live Sound Engineer Amanda Davis: Forging A Fearless Career Path
- Meet The Woman Engineering Your Favorite South African Hip-Hop Releases
- Grammy’s Take Note – Women in Music
- Chez Stock: The Girl With The Audio Tattoo(s)
- Road Warriors – Stories From The Touring Women Who Keep The Music Sounding Sweet
- Jeri Palumbo Thriving in the Hot Seat
- Taking The Initiative
- Noted monitor engineer and mentor/educator Karrie Keyes, in profile.
- How Freelance sound designer Ana Monte captured the sounds of war in a conflict zone
- Annette Cisneros – Working Behind Two Types of Desks – Offspring, Social Distortion, Alice in Chains
- Behind the Scenes at NPR West
- Jackie Green – VP of R&D/Engineering at Audio Technica
- Where Are All the Women Producers? Here Are Five Famous Ones
- Why are Female Record Producers So Rare
- The Sound Girls of Brazil
- Where are All the Women Record Producers
- The Five Percent: Profiles on Women in Audio
- Catherine Marks: Happy Accidents
- Be Unstoppable: The Attitude and Skills Required to Find Success as a Touring Sound Engineer
- Behind The Glass: An Interview with Producer/Engineer Trina Shoemaker
- Meet Jane Tattersal: Sound Supervisor for Penny Dreadful
- Meet Paula Fairfield Sound Designer on Game of Thrones
- Sounds Like Success: Sudhish Kamath
- Front and Center: Women’s Audio Mission Founder, Terri Winston
- Reflections on Production Sound, in the Company of Jan McLaughlin
- Beethoven’s Ninth in 5.1 Leslie Ann Jones, Wolfgang Fraissinet, Mike Pappas and a Lot of Digital Mics
- Lucy Johnstone – Sound Editor for Top Gear
- The Woman Behind The Oscar-Nominated Sound Of ‘Unbroken’
- Why Are There So Few Women in AV?
Women in Music
- Kim Gordon: Women aren’t allowed to be kick-ass, I refused to play the game
- LP Creating Music on her Terms
- Cordell Jackson
- Mayam Mahmoud
- Use What You Have: An Interview With Kim Gordon
- This is My Thing: An Interview With Kathleen Hanna
- Patti Smith: by Thurston Moore
- Punk has a Problem with Women. Why?
- What You Might Not Know about Shelia E.
- Carol Kaye is Paul McCartney’s Favorite Bass Player, He Just Doesn’t Know it was her.
- Bjork Talks Feminism